Can tea tree oil help psoriasis on scalp
Psoriasis is immunity disorder and it skin disorder where skin cells have excessive proliferation. It has no valid single treatment till today but its symptoms could be resolved by multiple medications and herbal remedies.
Tea tree oil is an effective and efficient herbal remedy that could relieve the psoriasis symptoms quickly. Tea tree oil is obtained from the leaves of tea tree Melaleuca alternafolia that is native to the Australia. Tea tree oil has multiple health benefits and it is being used in large number of oral and topical products such as lotions, creams and shampoos. Tea tree oil have following properties:
- It has anti-inflammatory properties therefore it has a tendency to reduce the psoriasis related inflammations.
- Tea tree oil has anti-fungal properties therefore it is most commonly used for nails and feet psoriasis. Psoriasis at nails and feet are always complicated with fungal and yeast infections therefore tea tree oil can inhibit the growth of fungi and yeast at such places.
- Tea tree oil can also be used as an antibiotic because it can inhibit the growth of microbes that can cause infection on the skin. Mostly psoriasis condition is aggravated due to secondary bacterial infections therefore tea tree oil prevents and stops the secondary infection.
- It has also an ability to kill viral infections therefore when psoriasis has viral infection risk than tea tree could be affective as an anti-viral agent.
- It can soften the dry skin and removes flakes and plaques from the skin surface.
- It moisturizes the skin and reduces itching, rubbing, redness, burning and prevents scale formation.
- Tea tree oil can control the increased skin cell production thus controlling psoriasis.
- It has deep penetration ability in the different layers of the skin therefore scar formation is prevented.
How to use tea tree oil for psoriasis on scalp
Tea tree oil is one of the essential oils that is widely used for skin diseases. The most common route of administration of tea tree oil is topical but it could also administer orally in rare cases. You can use it by following ways:
- Pure tea tree oil is associated with burning and irritation therefore it is often used after dilution. You can add it in water and apply it on affected skin with cotton ball. Apply it at bed time and leave for whole night. Repeat it until you are completely recovered.
- Tea tree oil can be mixed with olive oil and applied on the skin with gentle massage. Leave it for one hour and rinse. Repeat it until your symptoms are resolved.
- You can mix tea tree oil with sweet almond oil and apply it gently on affected area for just few minutes and wash it off.
- Tea tree oil can enhance its anti-inflammatory properties when mixed with coconut oil. It is applied with massage and leave for whole night.
- For scalp psoriasis, tea tree oil is mixed with shampoo and rinses your scalp with it. Continue it until you have resolved the scalp issue.