Is olive oil good for psoriasis of the scalp
Olive Oil is also known as liquid gold due to its extensive medicinal use. It contains three omega fatty acids and vitamin E that are best for skin diseases. Virgin olive oil has crucial properties to hydrate skin and make it less dry. The presence of anti-oxidants in olive oil is helpful in reducing the damage to healthy cells caused by free radicals and inflammation.
Psoriasis is immunity disorder that cannot be cured by herbal edible oils but oils like olive oil can provide a symptomatic relief from psoriasis. It softens the skin therefore it becomes easy for plaques to be peeled off.
Benefits of Olive Oil for psoriatic skin
Olive oil is natural oil therefore it has no side effect until you are allergic to it. It is good for normal skin as well diseased skin. Its promising composition makes it effective remedy for psoriasis. It can help you through following ways:
- The presence of polyphenoles helps in neutralization of free radicals that can cause damage to skin cells.
- It has efficient anti-oxidant that sterilizes the skin affected by free radicals.
- Vitamin E and fatty acids present in olive oil can act as best emollient and moisturizer for psoriatic skin.
- It has smoothening property therefore it smoothes skin and dry flakes are detached.
- Olive oil exhibit strong anti-inflammatory characteristics that is why it can prevent redness and swelling of skin.
- It can further tame the inflammation and have a tendency to boost immune response.
- Olive oil is very famous wound healer therefore it could heal psoriasis patches quickly.
How to use Olive Oil for psoriasis
Olive oil is vegetable edible oil and it has both route of administration, oral and topical. It is safe for both routes.
- It is best to take uncooked olive oil orally. Virgin olive oil is little stable to heat so you can use it in cooking at low heat. One tablet spoon of olive oil is enough daily or as directed by physician. You should continue its use until you feel recovery.
- Commonly olive oil is used topically for psoriasis. you can apply it directly on the skin with gentle massage or can use by following ways:
- Add olive oil to milk, mix them properly and apply on the affected places gently. Massage it and leave for 15-20 minutes.
- Olive oil can be mixed with tea tree oil to enhance its anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties mostly at the ratio of 10:1. Now gently massage it on affected skin and leave for 30 minutes. Rinse with Luke warm water and apply until the condition is resolved.
- Olive oil can be mixed with honey and bees wax to reduce inflammation. It is applied directly on skin with gentle rubbing. Repeat it until your symptoms are relieved.
- You can mix olive oil with apple cider vinegar and applied with massage for few minutes.