Will drinking baking soda and water help psoriasis
As we already know there is no complete treatment for psoriasis but few simple remedies can make easy dealing with psoriasis. On this way baking soda is also included in this list. Baking soda or sodium carbonate is being used widely against psoriasis to get symptomatic relief. You must kept in mind that the use of baking soda is not safe if your skin is red, cracked and itchy because it will worsen the condition.
How Baking Soda Works
Baking soda is white powder that is crystalline in nature. It is alkaline in nature and it neutralizes the acid present at the site of psoriasis therefore it provides a relief of itching and rubbing.
How Baking Soda is used
It depends on the site of psoriasis and condition of patient that how we should use baking soda for psoriasis. There are following ways that could be used against it such as:
- Baking soda paste is very effective and that is made by mixing baking soda with castor oil. This paste could be applied on the area that is affected with psoriasis and removed after one hour.
- Baking soda baths are also quite common. A cup of baking soda is mixed in warm water of bathing and soaked for 20 minutes and wash. It is most common way for patients who have psoriasis plaques on entire body.
- Baking soda can also be used for this purpose by mixing it in warm water. Now soak a soft piece of cloth in this mixture and apply on the skin.
- Don’t apply dry baking soda powder on your skin because it is harmful to the skin.
- You can apply baking soda powder by a single sprinkle and then make a layer of Vaseline on it and leave for half an hour.
Baking soda is effective but it could disturb the texture of your skin. Human skin has acidic nature and this acidic skin makes a mental core that protects skin from fungi, bacteria and yeast attack. So when baking soda is dissolved or mixed in water it makes it alkaline. Alkaline products can damage acid mantle and disrupt the skin and overall health of the skin. It changes the enzymatic composition of skin and the type of bacteria living on the skin surface.
It is also not good to apply dry powder of baking soda on your skin because it further dry your skin and damage it. Skin is very delicate especially for those patients who have psoriasis therefore dry baking soda powder can scratch your skin.
Therefore for safe and effective use of baking soda it is good to used it should be used in coconut oil or any other moisturizer lotion or base. In this way dryness and granular nature of baking soda is overcome and it could provide better affects for psoriasis.
You cannot get complete relapse by just using it once or twice rather you have to continue it until you get complete relief from all symptoms.