Psoriasis and Ayurveda: Do Ayurveda Treatments Work?
Prescription or western medications are associated with side affects while herbal medications have very low chances of side effects therefore some people prefer herbal medications as compared to prescription medicines.
Ayurveda is holistic form of medications that is known from ancient eras. It was first started from northern regions of India with a concept the human health depends on healthy spirit, healthy brain and healthy body. For Ayurveda treatment, herbal medications are used with an advice of healthy lifestyle. Ayurveda treatment works on basic principle of exercise like yoga, detoxification, meditation and healthy diet.
For psoriasis a specific therapy termed as Panchakarma Treatment is followed. Panchakarma treatment involves the detoxification and purification of the body through herbal products and changes in daily diet. Most of the Ayurveda practitioner’s advice vegetarian diet for this purpose.
The main pillars of Panchakarma therapy are five as the name indicates and these are:
- Vomiting and purging.
- Pouring drop by drop medicated thick or butter milk on the head of the patient.
- Consumption of medicated clear butter or ghee.
- Patients are entirely covered in a paste of medicine plus mud.
- Medicated enemas are performed.
Like other treatment options the length and effectiveness of Ayurveda treatment depends the condition of the patient, severity of the disease, and patient’s believe toward medication therapy. Along with above five Panchakarma Treatment strategies there are few more such remedies to cure psoriasis:
- A herbal product black nightshade juice for reduction in inflammation of psoriasis places
- Oral intake of onion and garlic for purification of blood
- A herbal paste made up of jasmine flowers to lessen itching and inflammatory response
- Guggal for further reduction of inflammation
- The oral intake of neem leaves for strengthening the immune system and purification of blood.
- Topical use of turmeric to reduce swelling and redness
- Frankincense to decrease inflammation and increase support to immune system.
It is strongly believed the Ayurveda treatments work for psoriasis without any side effect because it totally includes herbal medications along with life style modification and dietary changes.
Ayurveda therapy also believes that physical and mental stress trigger psoriasis disease therefore when you are Panchakarma therapy you must stay away from stress. Specific exercise and meditation can be helpful in rapid curing of psoriasis symptoms and reduce stress that could decrease the flare-ups of the psoriasis. Psoriasis patients should stay away from all triggers of psoriasis in order to receive better treatment outcomes.
Holistic medications and Ayurveda medications are considered safe but some could be dangerous. Ayurveda treatment does not involve regular testing and monitoring of the disease that may go against it. Therefore if you feel any unwanted effect or side effect than stop the therapy immediately and go to qualified medical practitioner.
It is also not necessary that all patients have same treatment outcomes with Ayurveda therapy for psoriasis because some may get 100 % result while others have none.