Can apple cider vinegar cure scalp psoriasis
Apple cider vinegar was used as disinfectant and preservatives previously but now it is being widely used in medical industry. Apple cider is fermented with the help of specific bacteria to form acidic apple vinegar called apple cider vinegar.
Due to antiseptic properties of apple cider vinegar it is becoming popular treatment for psoriasis where skin becomes irritated and scaly due to rapid division of skin cells. Most commonly it is used for scalp psoriasis and it should be applied 3-4 times a week to get rid of itching and rubbing. In the case of cracked and bleeding scalp it should not be used because acidic nature of vinegar could worsen the scalp condition.
National Psoriasis Foundation has also revealed its ancient use as disinfectant and it is also researched as effective remedy for scalp psoriasis. Apple cider vinegar can reduce the symptoms of scalp psoriasis such as itchiness, burning and scaling.
How Apple Cider Vinegar is Effective
- Apple cider vinegar can balance the pH of the skin that was disturbed by psoriasis infection.
- It contains a nutrient alpha hydroxyl that exfoliating properties though helpful in removing the top scaly layers of the skin.
- It has anti-inflammatory mechanism of action that can aid in reduction of inflammation resulted from psoriasis.
- It removes the dead cells thus thickness of the skin is controlled somehow.
- It has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties therefore it can control the infection and prevent the spread of infection.
- The vitamins and other nutrients present in apple cider vinegar can maintain healthy skin and strengthen immune system.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Psoriasis
Apple cider vinegar is considered best herbal remedy for psoriasis because it melts away scales from the skin rapidly and reduces the itching of the skin. Chemically it is:
- Acidic when applied topically on the skin therefore it aids healing.
- Alkaline when taken orally therefore pH of the body is raised from acidic to alkaline to make skin healthier.
- Oral Use:
When apple cider vinegar is taken orally it acts as a tonic that detoxifies the body and reduces the sign and symptoms of psoriasis. 1-2 spoons of apple cider vinegar are added in one cup of water and drink after every meal and repeat three times a day.
- Topical Use:
Apple cider vinegar could be applied topically through various ways such as:
- Take a bath with apple cider vinegar containing water or soak in apple cider containing water for half an hour. In this way dry and flaky skin will be broken and moisturized so easily dead skin cells are removed.
- Rinse your scalp with apple cider containing water and leave for half an hour and then wash your scalp normally.
- Apple cider vinegar paste can be prepared by adding baking soda into apple cider vinegar that should be applied on affected area. It will resolve itching and burning of the skin.
- You can prepare apple cider vinegar compress by soaking it in apple cider vinegar and water solution. Apply it on psoriasis areas for one minute and repeat the procedure until needed.
- Apple cider vinegar can also be mixed with honey and applied on the affected area to remove dead cells.
If the application of apple cider vinegar is worsening your condition then stop its use and immediately consult your doctor.