Is aloe vera gel good for psoriasis
Psoriasis is chronic skin condition that could be treated with herbal or natural products as well as allopathic medications. It is better to try herbal products first due their fewer side effects by consulting with qualified physician. Aloe Vera is considered effective natural remedy for psoriasis.
Aloe Vera contains 99 % water and 1 % other ingredients which make gel of aloe vera. These ingredients are:
- Minerals such as copper, calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, potassium and manganese.
- Vitamins such as vitamin A, B complex, C, E and traces of folic acid.
- Seven essential amino acids
- Eight different types of enzymes
- Salicylic acid that have anti-septic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Few fatty acids
- Sugars and
How Aloe Vera is effective for Psoriasis
Aloe Vera was approved by the US FDA as an OTC medication for skin burns and after this approval it is being used for multiple skin conditions including psoriasis.
- Aloe Vera is very effective for treatment of Psoriasis because it moisturizes the surface of the skin and form a layer over a skin to provide protection from microbial growth.
- There are few evidences which show that aloe vera could strength immune system by enhancing the production of WBCs.
- 1 % gel content of aloe vera has mild to moderate anti-septic, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and soothing properties that can reduce the redness of skin, inflammation, irritation, and swelling.
- Oral use of aloe vera is effective for detoxification of the body by eliminating the toxins through colon that could aid in reducing the symptoms of Psoriasis.
- Topical use of aloe vera provides better penetration into the skin that could reduce the cell division and thickness of the skin to minimize the flake formation and rashes on the skin surface.
- The nutrient content of the aloe vera is good enough to restore the natural health of the skin.
How to Use Aloe Vera for Psoriasis
Commonly aloe vera is used topically for multiple skin conditions but it could also be taken orally in order to get strong immune system, treat and prevent infections. Fresh juice or fresh gel of aloe vera is very effective but if you don’t have access to aloe vera plant than you can purchase it. It is easily available as aloe vera gel or organic juice from herbal or beauty product store. It is used topically for psoriasis by following ways:
- If you have fresh aloe vera than simply cut its leaves into slices and squeeze the gel. Apply this fresh gel on the skin areas affected by psoriasis and leave it for one to two hours. Aloe vera gel can be sealed on the affected skin by plastic paper or sheet to moisturize the skin properly and then washed by cool water.
- Aloe vera gel can be mixed with tea tree oil to get rid of itching and rubbing.
- Aloe vera cream could be prepared by mixing aloe vera gel with coconut oil and Shea butter that is very effective to treat Psoriasis.
- To treat scalp Psoriasis aloe vera gel is mixed with water and applied gently on the scalp. Massage softly for 5 minutes and rinse with cool water.
If symptoms don’t resolve with aloe vera then leave it and consult your physician. Pregnant and breast feeding women should only use it after physician’ advice.